Saturday, January 31, 2009

Integrating Technology

Overall I thought the presentations and the process went really well. I enjoyed everyone's power points and using Breeze. Presenting the power points without actually being able to see everyone was a unique experience, since so much of the time in the classroom teachers and students are building off of one another. Breeze itself I think would be a great classroom tool to help students with homework, for group work, or online assignments.
The group I with was all social studies majors like myself so it was really helpful to hear how they would use their technologies not only in the classroom but specifically in a social studies context. All of the technologies presented would help create an engaging lesson. My concern however is the resources schools and students have access to. I plan on incorporating technology in my lessons, but will not expect my students rely solely on them.

3 comments:

  1. Natalie:

    I also really enjoyed using Breeze (again). I thought it went very well, and the fluidity with which everyone was able to open their powerpoints and locate specific slides was quite astounding. It found it so cool that everyone, from the comfort of their own home, could simply log on and take part in a meaningful, educational discussion. Going off of your point about students doing homework and such on Breeze, I completely agree. For those students willing to get online and engage in group discussion, this type of program would only serve to advance their academic engagement and achievement.

    I also felt your struggle with technology access and use, especially in inner-city, low-funded schools. I discussed this a lot on my blog...you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same with Vince, our discussion went very well. However, you mentioned that you enjoyed looking at ever ones powerpoint, well, we didn't even use a powerpoint really. Also, i was in a discussion with different concentration teachers, and i too thought it was cool to see the other ideas, and what perhaps might be going on someday outside of my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concern about students' access to technology was one of my biggest concerns as well. I really like the idea of breeze and not having to be physically in the classroom. I think it could do wonders from group projects just among the students outside of school to be able to work together. However, I feel like it would be difficult to expect students to have this kind of access. So breeze may not be a reasonable tool for schools.

    However, I did really enjoy the freedom of being able to meet online. I also enjoyed hearing the presentations and learning more about these technologies and how to implement them in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete